Tuesday, 20 January 2009

Getting the shot



Its funny sometimes when you go shooting in a place that is loaded with interesting graphical elements and the shot of the batch that you choose to focus on is something that had nothing to with any of them.

My friend Sam, who you will find in the photograph above, and I went to such a place this past week. The Chemical Engineering "compound" on Tech's campus is filled with interesting forms, and the light around there is great at sunset. We decided to go check it out. I got some interesting photos out of it, but this one is my favorite. To me it captured what its like to be an amateur photographer. You're out there freezing your ass off trying to make yourself better at your favorite hobby. You click the shutter, check the LCD, study the histogram, sometimes wonder what the hell you were thinking, and then do it all over again. Its fun, but it can always be frustrating. I was lucky to catch Sam doing just this, and I hope that if you've ever taken a photo you can relate to this picture in some way a little deeper than "yeah I've done that before." You know what it feels like when you get that awesome picture that you can't wait to show your friends, right?

I have so many photographs to wade through. I've finally learned how to really properly post-process an image (read: I'm learning GIMP!!) and it takes me forever to get it where I want it. Its annoying and a revelation all at once. However, I'm pleased with how many photographs of mine so far that I start processing, and after some tinkering decide that I like them best untouched. Its reassuring in that it means I must be doing something right.

I still want a Holga.

No comments: